On 25 November 2016 at 14:04, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
..

> The bad reputation of ".pth" doesn't generally stem from their normal
> usage (i.e. just listing absolute or relative directory names that the
> import system will then append to __path__).
>
> Rather, it stems from this little aspect: "Lines starting with import
> (followed by space or tab) are executed." (from
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/site.html )

I think its also worth exploring a targeted, modern namespace aware replacement.

That is - there are two, related, use cases for .pth files vis-a-vis
package installation. One is legacy namespace packages, which AFAICT
are still in use - the migration is "complicated". The second is
arguable a variant of that same thing: putting the current working dir
into the PYTHONPATH without putting it in PYTHONPATH.

The former case may be sufficiently covered by (forget the pep #) that
we don't need to do anything, and the latter is certainly something
that we should be able to deliver without needing the turing complete
capability that you're suggesting. Something data driven rather than
code driven.

-Rob