On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 3:40 PM Glyph Lefkowitz <gl...@twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2016, at 5:51 AM, Daniel Holth <dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm also a visual studio code fan. It is the first editor I've tried that
> feels lightweight like Vim but has the power of many plugins. That, and the
> text rendering is excellent.
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Stallion is a lovely GUI package manager.
>

> There's a lot to like here - no disrespect to the Stallion team - but it's
> worth remembering this lesson from Havoc Pennington:
> https://blog.ometer.com/2016/01/26/the-dangerous-ui-team/
>
> The *major* reason UI is important for this use-case - onboarding of new
> people to Python programming - is to give them *discoverability* on terms
> they're already familiar with.  That means that the first "UI" element has
> to be a cross-platform UI bundle.  Stallion is still a thing you have to
> install (and from what I can see, a thing you have to install into a
> virtualenv?)
>
> One possibility to consider is that virtualenv itself is a bad idea. Why
> should the Python interpreter executable, rather than the program being
> run, determine the set of packages that is available for import? It is
> confusing and inconvenient to have to deal with environments at all. Yes,
> even if you are using a helper. Maybe there can be a better way to manage
> dependencies that is not completely disjoint from setup.py.
>

> I can see why you'd say that, but I disagree.  I think the *name* "virtualenv"
> is really confusing, but the general idea of "it's the interpreter and not
> the app" is a very powerful concept because you can run a REPL (or a
> notebook, or a debugger, or a doc generator, or any other dev tool) in the
> same *context* as your application code, without actually loading or
> executing any specific thing from your application code.  Virtualenv also
> lets you easily control which Python version or interpreter (hello, pypy!)
> is being used in each context.

My point is really that virtualenv both causes and solves problems. There's
jaraco's thing I was trying to remember https://pypi.org/project/rwt/ which
is a creative alternative to virtualenv for some situations. I wish there
was a smoother path between virtualenv develop-against-pypi-libraries and
end-user application deployment.

Stallion has always looked cool but it hasn't been updated in a few years,
I admit I never used it "for real". Don't know what it would it take to
make a useful GUI package manager. Interactive dependency conflict
resolution graphs? Able to install into remote environments? Maybe the
command line version will always be easier to use.