On 24 May 2017 at 03:04, Thomas Kluyver <tho...@kluyver.me.uk> wrote:
> I'll propose a variant of an idea I described already: the frontend
> could provide the backend with a fresh temp directory. If the backend
> needs to run other processes, it can redirect the output into a file in
> that temp directory. Then you have files with an unknown encoding,  but
> each file will hopefully have one encoding, and you can use a tool like
> chardet to guess what it is.

That's actually pretty similar to the way tools like mock (the chroot
based RPM builder) work. That way, build backends could choose
between:

- use pipes to stream output from the tools they call, deal with
encoding issues themselves
- redirect output to a suitable named file in the tool log directory