On 25 May 2017 at 15:38, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seeing it like this pushes me from "Eh, maybe?" to "No, definitely not" :)

Agreed. Given that it's stated as optional for frontends to support
it, I'd be arguing against pip bothering (as it seems like too much
complexity) - so I'd rather leave it out until another frontend comes
along. If at that point there's a need, we can always revise the PEP.

> So I'm inclined to accept the encoding amendment, and then
> provisionally accept the overall PEP pending implementation in pip.

Me too. (Assuming I understand Steve's comments on backends, and he's
comfortable with the idea that backends need to capture and manage
MSVC output for presentation to the frontend).

Paul