On Tue, Jul 4, 2017, at 01:06 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:
> 2) We have a VCS directory or “original development source” or
>    whatever you want to call the thing you have before a sdist that
>    typically gets into a sdist.>     - Works on both proposals for setuptools
> and flit (since both can
>       go from a VCS to a sdist).>     - Thomas might have said he’d be
> unhappy if this case goes through
>       a real sdist… I forget the specifics of that discussion now.
Practical objection: besides it being a VCS checkout, you need the VCS
tools available (e.g. git on $PATH). It's not hard to imagine cases
where this doesn't hold, e.g. installing from a directory bind-mounted
into a docker container. Between this and your case 3 (local directory
not a VCS checkout), failures - while not common - won't be
particularly rare.
Principle objection: you don't want an sdist! You want the necessary
files copied efficiently to a clean location. You're using something
complex as a proxy for something simple.
Prediction objection: If we end up with pip asking for an sdist when
it's trying to build a wheel,  I don't want to be endlessly explaining
to people why it's broken. Nor do I want people to upload badly made
sdists because flit doesn't have the necessary information to put
extra files in there. Given the dominance of pip, I think my best
option is to find a way for build_sdist to produce an sdist which pip
accepts but pypi rejects if you try to upload it. I assume we all
agree that's not optimal?
So can we please leave the hook in place?

(We could still avoid all of this if there was a way to trust the
backend to build a wheel directly from the source directory, by the
way.)
Thomas