On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 1:03 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 August 2017 at 12:17, Ian Hartley <iahar...@ucsd.edu> wrote:
>> I recently installed python 3.6.2, and I want to know how to transfer the
>> numerous modules I have on 3.6.1 to the newest version, usable by an
>> interpreter.
>
> Without knowing more about your system (operating system, where you
> installed Python from, how you're installing Python dependencies),
> it's hard to say what might be going wrong, since most mechanisms for
> upgrading Python will treat 3.6.2 as a direct replacement for 3.6.1,
> and hence you shouldn't have to do anything at all to start using
> Python 3.6.2 instead (since they're part of the same feature release
> stream, they'll both use `3.6` to qualify the directories they access,
> and hence should be able to see the same set of importable modules).

I would just like to point out that the normal workflow for pyenv [1],
which seems very popular (and which I use), is to do parallel installs
rather than upgrades. The OP didn't actually say "upgrade," so it's
possible they're using a tool like pyenv. I believe the OP's original
questions would also apply to users of pyenv -- i.e. having a simple
way to "copy" installed dependencies from one pyenv install to a new
one.

In practice, I myself don't have this issue since I usually install
from requirements.txt, as you suggested, Nick.

--Chris

[1] https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv