On 20 August 2017 at 05:27, Ian Hartley <iahar...@ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using PyCharm CE as my development environment, on a macintosh running
> mac OS 10.12.3.

Ah, that would explain why my intuitions were all wrong - I know how the
Windows and *nix installation models work (and I believe the latter also
covers homebrew on macOS), but not how the macOS framework installers work
:)

While pip+wheels should cover most of your needs for financial analytics in
Python these days, it may still be worth your while to spend a bit of time
poking around at conda if you think you may ever need components written in
other languages like R: https://conda.io/docs/

P.S. As far as your research topic goes, while I'm not aware of anyone
specifically researching tensorflow in that context, looking through Dr
Yves Hilpisch's publication list at http://hilpisch.com/#/11 may point you
towards events where that kind of material may have been presented.