On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 11:33:44AM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 08:48:23AM +0200, Carles Sala Cladellas wrote:
> > Hello here!
> >
> > TL;DR: Should I use requirements.txt, or should I have my dependencies only
> > listed inside setup.py?
>
> Short answer: only setup.py, unless you find a reason to also use a
> requirements.txt.
>
> Long answer:
> https://packaging.python.org/discussions/install-requires-vs-requirements/
> and especially https://caremad.io/posts/2013/07/setup-vs-requirement/

+1

let me point out one more thing.

Suppose you have a project 'myproject' that depends on library1 that
depends on library2. library1 doesn't declare dependancies in
setup.py but uses requirements.txt.

'pip install' of myproject will not see the dependency on library2

I personally really appreciate what buildout does in this field. It
relies on setup.py but allows you to take a 'snapshot' of the packages
really used in versions.txt. It's a pinpoint that enter into the play
*only if* setup.py requires that package.

What I really don't like of requirements.txt is that it doesn't
differentiate between required packages and packages that entered as
dependacies of others.

sandro
*:-)

--