From: Brett Cannon <br...@python.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:04 PM
To: Diane Trout <di...@ghic.org>
Cc: distutils-sig@python.org
Subject: [Distutils] Re: org-mode README file formats

On Tue, 8 May 2018 at 11:00 Diane Trout <di...@ghic.org <mailto:di...@ghic.org>
> wrote:

On Tue, 2018-05-08 at 16:44 +0000, Brett Cannon wrote:

On Mon, 7 May 2018 at 16:54 Diane Trout <di...@ghic.org <mailto:di...@ghic.org>
> wrote:

Hi,

I was building a package where I had a README.org file, which
setuptools couldn't find.

It listed .md as a valid format, so I was wondering if org-mode was
sufficiently plain text to be added to the list of accepted README file
formats?

What's org-mode? Sounds like an Emacs thing based on what I have heard Emacs
people say. :)

If it is an Emacs thing then I would vote "no" since that's very
editor-specific and I suspect trying to support every plaintext file format is
never-ending.

Well yes, it's certainly most powerful, flexible, and feature complete with
emacs, but there is work on org-mode support in vim and sublime. Additionally
org-mode syntax is supported by GitHub, GitLab, and pandoc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Org-mode#Integration

There's also an argument that org-mode is a good lightweight markup language in
and of itself.

http://karl-voit.at/2017/09/23/orgmode-as-markup-only/

Since it is breaking out of its source community I thought it at least worth
asking about. Out of curiosity, do you have a feeling for how popular a
lightweight markup language needs to be before it gets added to the list of
setuptools recognized formats?

When you can say "has broken out" instead of "is breaking out". ;)

Basically if the majority of people at a Python conference won't know the
format then the burden on the volunteers to support it isn't probably worth it
IMO. But since I'm not maintaining Warehouse it isn't my call, just my opinion.