Pypa/readme is what Warehouse uses to render rst and markdown
long_descriptions to safe HTML.
https://github.com/pypa/readme_renderer

There are a number of org-mode implementations; even for a few for Vim and
Sublime.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Org-mode#Integration

``conda install pandoc`` is the quickest way to install pandoc, AFAIU. The
last time I installed pandoc with os packages it pulled in a bunch of
Haskell packages.

Python-only is the status quo for pypa/readme.