On 9 July 2018 at 20:27, Pradyun Gedam <pradyu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 9:14 AM Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> This suggests that our decision should be based on: if we want to be
>> relatively more aggressive about rolling out build isolation, then we
>> should key on the existence of pyproject.toml. If we want to be
>> relatively more conservative, then we should key on the existence of
>> build-system.requires.
>
> Indeed. I too feel that's what this comes down to. I had a wordier way to
> come to this conclusion which I've removed from this mail now. :)
>
> An important thing here is that being aggressive here let's us piggy-back on
> the adoption of tools that use pyproject.toml and I'd say it's a good thing
> to have more people using the standard explicitly.

OK. That's basically pip's current behaviour.

This discussion is getting fragmented, unfortunately. I've just
commented on the pip issue at
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/5416#issuecomment-403616780 as I'm
still trying to find the motivating issues behind this discussion.

For now I'll point out that PEP 518 doesn't say *anything* about how
tools use the information in `pyproject.toml` - there's no mention of
build isolation. Unless I missed something - please point it out if I
did, The only thing I can find is in PEP 517. So discussions of pip's
isolation behaviour are mostly pip-specific implementation details at
the moment, and not really relevant to this thread.

Once I've collected a bit more information, I'll summarise here. But I
think there's only minor changes to PEP 518 needed, and nothing for
pip.
Paul