Yes that feels very dangerous to me. From the github thread it sounds like
setuptools *does* support it. I would be inclined to deprecate support for that
in setuptools if that's the case (though obviously since setup.py is a regular
python file you can write your own code to do whatever you want in it, so it's
more in the spirit of a deterrent than a protection).