On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 at 13:34, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:

> On Fri., Sep. 7, 2018, 16:32 Dan Ryan, <d...@danryan.co> wrote:
>
>> I’m thinking (and correct me if I’m wrong here) that Brett’s message
>> might be motivated more by a desire to standardize and centralize effort
>> by first assessing what the issue is.
>>
> Yep. I try to take the decade view of things so solving stuff that will
> take a while to trickle out to the community doesn't phase me. 😉

Note that Donald created a draft virtualenv rewrite that worked as a thin
shell around venv on the versions that provided venv, but otherwise worked
in much the same as it always had:
https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv/pull/697

Around this time last year, he noted that he wasn't sure when he would be
able to find the time to follow up on it, and if someone else wanted to
pursue a different strategy he'd be OK with that:
https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv/pull/697#issuecomment-333937166

So if folks are still interested in the general idea of improving
virtualenv and venv interoperability, then my last message to that thread
and Paul's follow up would be a decent place to start:
https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv/pull/697#issuecomment-333437537

However, eliminating virtualenv as a project/component is a definite
*non*-goal. While venv is valuable because it integrates more tightly into
the interpreter startup sequence than virtualenv itself was ever able to
(and provides a common API for doing virtualenv-like things across
different Python implementations), virtualenv remains valuable as a
cross-version compatibility and enhancement layer for the parts that don't
need to be as tightly integrated with the core interpreter implementation.
We just hope to eventually be able to delete most of the code from it, and
have it just handle the parts that venv itself doesn't cover in any given
version of Python :)