The possibility of doing it in setuptools is discussed extensively in
the threads, but a lot of us are going off of half-remembered
discussions, so it's probably a good idea to get a central "agenda" of
the things we want to resolve and create a new thread for discussion in
the discourse.

Items I see for the agenda:

- The most urgent question for discussion that I see is what should be
done /now/. This seems to me like a major issue, and I'm wondering if it
would make sense to revert the major change in behavior until we iron
out some of the details. It seems like many people in the thread (and
people I've spoken to in person) are "solving" this by just pinning pip
to < 19.0.

- From the setuptools side, I think we don't want to be forced to rush
things. setuptools is already a huge bundle of compromises and
less-than-ideal defaults because we have so few opportunities to fix the
crustier parts of it without introducing enormous code churn. I don't
want us to have to put compatibility shims into our main build backend
just to unbreak some people today if we can avoid it with a less
permanent "band-aid" solution.