On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 at 09:04, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 at 21:02, Thomas Kluyver <tho...@kluyver.me.uk> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 27, 2019, at 7:47 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> > > What is more difficult is the question of whether the PEP should
> > > change. As Chris pointed out, the previous discussion ended up saying
> > > that the build directory should not be on sys.path, but acknowledged
> > > that mandating that might cause issues. So the question now is, are
> > > the issues we've seen big enough that we want to change PEP 517 to say
> > > that the build directory *should* be on sys.path?
> >
> > I don't see that this issue is an argument for changing the PEP. It seems
> > like a problem with the backend that should be supporting legacy use cases.
> > The rule about the frontend not using the CWD to load the backend doesn't
> > constrain what the backend does once loaded.
> >
> > From my perspective, the original arguments about the CWD still stand, but
> > in addition PEP 517 is out now and there are tools implementing it, so it
> > would be more disruptive to make changes. So at least for now, I'm -1 on
> > changing the rule about the CWD.
>
> Yes, that's my view too. I'm happy that we revisit the question, but
> personally, I remain in favour of the PEP as it stands.

Yep, I think letting the backend decide whether or not it wants to
include the build directory on sys.path remains the right way to go.

Thomas's https://github.com/takluyver/intreehooks then addresses
opting in to that in the general case, while Paul Ganssle's proposed
build_meta_legacy backend in
https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/pull/1652 addresses it for the
specific case of setup.py execution.