Paul Moore wrote:
> Maybe the way to define useful semantics here would be to articulate
> the actual problem you're trying to solve (*without* referring to how
> dependency_links works) and propose a semantics that solves that
> problem?

Lets say that have project A, that has requirements B and C < 2. The project B
has requirement C >= 1. So, any version of C between 1 and 2 satisfies A (deep)
requirements.

With url specifiers, I can't specify the version, I need to provide specific
version in the link.

So, let's say that I have dependency "C @ https://github.com/owner/C.git@3"; in
project B and "C @ https://github.com/owner/C.git@1"; in project A.

These are different links and so there is no way to find the version that
satisfies both project A and project B requirements. Without version
specifiers, I'd need to specify the exact same version in all projects (and if
I'm using third party packages, I'm out of luck).

I recognize that there is a problem that repository tag may not be the same as
python package version. I don't know what to do about it yet.