On Tuesday, February 12, 2019, Jeremy Stanley <fu...@yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2019-02-12 18:42:29 -0500 (-0500), Wes Turner wrote:
> [...]
> > All it has to be is an archive containing a setup.py.
> >
> > "MD5 considered harmful today:
> > Creating a rogue CA certificate" (2008)
> > https://www.win.tue.nl/hashclash/rogue-ca/
>
> You keep trotting out PKI examples as if they have anything
> whatsoever to do with checksumming, but I'm quickly getting the
> distinct impression you don't actually know the difference so I'll
> stop now as we've gone well off-topic for this list.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

 you hash the file.
the hash is compared against a list.
if the hash matches, it's considered valid.

In 2008,
they were able to generate a file that has the same MD5 hash as one in a
list of considered-good hashes,
which is also a valid x.509 cert.

How is that at all different from generating an archive with a setup.py
that has the same hash as something listed on PyPI?

Trotting ... "Westminster Dad Show" https://youtu.be/2S2gQjTURvU ... Now
you've suggested that I'm FUD'ing: is there a difference between finding an
x.509 cert hash and a .tgz/.zip with a setup.py or setup.pyc hash? Maybe
there's something fundamental that I've misunderstood?

(So sorry to interrupt)