Mnyb wrote:
> I sometimes make optical cables for industrial applications with HP
> connectors and 1mm plastic fibre or 0,2mm hard clad silica .
>
> The plastic fibre needs some polishing to get a good surface , you
> basically sand it in 2 stages with very fine grain "paper" ( it really a
> plastic sheet of some kind ) with the connector in a little plastic
> fixture it then gets absolutely flat and the fiber terminates exactly on
> lovel with the edge of the connector .
> The lesser diameter 0,2 silica fibre is just cut with a diamond tool .
>
> If the diameter is very thin razor probably would do fine .

The cable I've ordered is described as 2.2mm diameter, so I'm guessing
that's 1mm plastic inside the sheath.  I presume the razor blade is
specified, rather than a Stanley knife blade, since a razor blade is
thinner and more likely to get a square cut.  It'll be interesting to
see how hard this is to do.  That's the attraction of DIY as far as I'm
concerned.  I can't think of a convenient way to test the quality of my
finished cables - obviously I can tell whether they 'work' or not, but I
guess I'd need to ship them over to Archimago to see what their jitter
performance is like. :)