lg.lindstrom wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using a Reciver and a external DAC, the later capable of 24/196
> sound. Unfoutnatly the Reciver is not.......
>
> I've seen people setting up Squeezeslave on Rasberry Pi boards but that
> board dont have SPDIF out.
>
> Have anyone tested running Squeezeslave on a SPDIF capable Board...  ??
> (which Board)
>

> //lg

I use a PCM2704  board quite successfully with the raspberry pi.  It it
recognized with Raspian out of the box and plays flawlessly at only
about 10% cpu utilization.
I'm using it with the optical output.  You will need to override the
squeezeslave audio output device using the -o switch.  Find the correct
device with the -L switch. (It turns out to be 1 in the raspberry pi B.
I recommend you look at the dmesg log to see if you have USB resets
going on.  I found the rPi gets unhappy if you have a USB 1.1 keyboard
and a USB 2.0 connected at the same time....it keeps resetting due to
the keyboard.  I use it as a headless player so no keyboard is
connected, and I use the lcd proc option to display the now playing info
on a 2x20 blue lcd, directly driven from the rPi GPIO pins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UK-PCM2704-USB-to-SPDIF-Sound-Card-DAC-35mm-analog-digital-output-volume-funct-/120940457164

It is only supposed to support 16bit up to 48k, but (guessing here) LMS
must be resampling, but plays 24bit FLAC files just fine.