cubii wrote:

> What exactly did you use as a battery? Because, as you already
> mentioned, it needs to :
>
> Automatically power the device which is plugged in (i read you added a
> switch for that)
> Be charged and powering the device at the same time.

I used this one:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00B2XPJZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't really want to give a recommendation in the article because
these products are usually pretty short lived so if someone reads this 6
months from now the exact same power bank might no longer be available
or the vendor might sell a changed product under the same name. Happens
all the time...
I'm pretty happy with this one except for the size, though.

Keep in mind, I only needed the second port because that's where I
connected the 12V step-up-converter for the clock.
One could try to connect the clock (removing the 12V-to6V power
converter it comes with) directly to the 5V on the Pi and test whether
it still works (probably will), that would allow you to use a smaller
power bank but the downside would be that the clock then always runs on
the backup battery whenever you switch the radio off.
The way it's set up in my radio now it at least powers the clock as long
as the power bank is connected to the power supply. If the power supply
is disconnected _and_ the radio is off, the power draw from the clock is
too low and the power bank switches off, so in this case the clock also
falls back on the backup battery.
No experience yet on how long the backup battery will last but usually
when the Radio is switched off over longer periods of time it sits
connected to the power supply to charge so I don't think it's a big
issue.

> And last: do you have any idea where one could get some play, next,
> previous buttons?

Well, as I wrote I used the rotary encoder's push button function for
"play/pause".
But no, other buttons are also notoriously difficult. It's actually the
reason I didn't add more buttons: I didn't find any that I found looking
good enough (and feeling good enough).

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch*