Reading more carefully, it seems like the button should be a momentary
button: "After shutdown, the system can be powered up again by driving
GPIO3 low."

So grounding the pin while pCP is running will call the
pcp-powerbutton.sh script, which issues the 'sudo /sbin/poweroff'
command.  Grounding GPIO3 while it's shut down will use built-in RPi
functionality to restart it.  I also note that GPIO3 has an external
pull-up resistor, so the pull-up setting in the 'tweaks' configuration
should presumably be 'off' if using GPIO3 - or does this setting have no
effect on GPIO3?

Something to play with this evening.  I have a DIY button panel, with a
'red' button that currently uses sbpd to power off the local player
(short press) or restart LMS (long press).  Assuming it's not possible
to use the button configured for the gpio-shutdown overlay to also
function with sbpd, I'll remove those two functions from my sbpd
configuration and connect that button to GPIO3 instead.

If I were to use a different pin for the gpio-shutdown, say GPIO26, then
grounding that pin would power off, and grounding GPIO3 would restart,
so a SPDT toggle switch might work (GPIO26-GND-GPIO3).  Would it matter
if GPIO3 stays grounded after a restart?  Would it matter if GPIO26
stays grounded after shutting down?