On Jul 10, 2006, at 9:55 PM, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> I agree with most of your points (the settings one is actually kind of
> obvious that it may be backwards now that you mention it).
> Inter-database relations would be nice to have at some point, but it
> could be a post-first-release kind of feature.

I agree it would be cool, but it would be (possibly horrifically)
slow, and (for me at least) fringes on YAGNI.

> On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 21:38 -0500, Jacob Kaplan-Moss wrote:
> [...]
>> Finally: will there be syntax to use a specific connection for some
>> operations even if that model's set up to use a different backend?
>> I'd hope so, but I'm not sure I can come up with a good syntax...
>
> What sort of use cases do you have in mind for this? Constructing
> inter-db relations by hand?

Not that in particular; I was thinking of things like:

- importing data from another database

- "feeding" data between two Django installations

- saving data from a feed to multiple databases in one script

(All of these are real-world problems I've found a way around in the
past).

> Thinking of some of his earlier mails, I think Jason already had in
> mind
> some way of getting the specific connections via db.backend, since we
> would need that for manually constructing SQL in any case. But the way
> you phrased the above query makes me think you have some trickier
> use in
> mind.

I'm not sure it's really that complicated, frankly.  Just being able
to use the ORM against to database simultaneously would be a huge win
for me.

Jacob