On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 12:19 +0800, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
> On 3/31/07, Malcolm Tredinnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 10:59 +0800, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
> > [...]
> > > 1) Is there a valid use case out there for the default 'leave 1 space'
> > > behaviour that I am missing?
> >
> > Readability of the generated source is not to be sneezed at. Using the
> > spaceless tag, you can have a nicely laid out template source with
> > newlines in appropriate places, etc, and still have a nice compact (not
> > spread over all creation) readable generated HTML. So I think the answer
> > to this question is "yes".
>
> Fair point, although I would argue that human readability of HTML
> delivered to the browser is a pretty low priority. I do have a
> specific counter-example where 0-spaces is significant. This HTML:

I realise there are plenty of cases where zero spaces is important and
significant. I've got no issue with the validity of the motivation
behind the change. That wasn't the question you asked, though. :-)

[...]
> > > 3) Whatever the default value is, is there a need for configurability
> > > of the number of spaces provided by this tag?
>
> Ok - initial opinion appears to be anti configurability and anti
> changing the default. Another option is to introduce a different tag
> for the 0-spaces case. Opinions? Suggestions for names? Spaceless is
> the obvious choice, but that name is taken :-)

Wasn't Jacob +0? I'll change my opinion to "don't care" so that it
doesn't matter. Two tags feels like at least one too many.

There comes a point when catering to every corner-case isn't worth it
when a custom tag is three lines of code and/or a quick trip to django
snippets away.

I've now written two more mails than I would have thought I ever wanted
to write about this. I don't care enough for it to worry me whichever
way we go. There are going to be more significant changes than this
prior to 1.0. I'm probably not the right person to be pitching arguments
or playing devil's advocate, since I don't have enough motivation. :)

Malcolm