On 5/5/07, Jari Pennanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Modularity of edit inline? Any better?
>
> Currently:
> models.ForeignKey(Other, edit_inline=models.TABULAR, parameters...)
> obiviously is a big waste of OO abilities,
>
> instead something like, the OO way:
> models.ForeignKey(Other, edit_inline=models.TabularInline(parameters))
> were much better. (I know it is defined elsewhere in upcoming
> implementation, but the example I saw did not implement subclassing
> which I think is neccessity to create it customizable, and also the
> parameters is way more clear this way)
>
> One could implement own edit inlines just by subclassing from
> TabularInline/StackedInline, or from where TabularInline subclassed
> itself. Currently I see no easy or sensible way to create own edit
> inlines.

That's the general idea of what we came up with at PyCon. I'm still
working on the underlying machinery (basically formset_for_model and
formset_for_instances) though. TabularInline/StackedInline (or
whatever they end up being) will be mostly configuration, however,
they are an incredibly small part of the overall implementation and
will be one of the last things I work on. I imagine they will have
some methods to customize them a little via subclassing, but I'm not
going to speculate further until I get there.

Joseph