On 5/11/07, Joseph Kocherhans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 5/10/07, Russell Keith-Magee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I've got a working implementation and some proof-of-concept tests;
> > would you like me to clean this up and push it into the trunk, or do
> > you want to handle it yourself?
>
> If you want to add it to the trunk that would be awesome. I can just
> merge the changes into the newforms-admin branch. It's overdue for a
> merge anyhow.

Will do.

> > > +1 for optionally doing this for ManyToManyField at least. Would the
> > > reverse ForeignKey interface be similar to edit_inline? I think once I
> > > finish the formset-model integration code, that should be pretty
> > > simple to pull off.
> >
> > I would have thought reverse foreign key would have be more like m2m
> > than edit inline. The reverse case is more like 'which of these
> > objects are have FK relations pointing to this one?', so a 'select
> > multiple' widget would be appropriate.
>
> Ahh. I'll echo Malcolm's +0 on that then. I haven't found a need for
> it, but it seems like I'd find a use for it if it were there.

Ideally, IMHO, it should be possible to do both. Its just a matter of
how to specify edit-inline preferences on a form_for_model, etc. I
haven't thought about this too hard, but something like:

form_for_model(
     MyModel,
     fields=('field1', 'field2', 'fkfield'),
     reverse_fields=('revfield1, 'revfkfield'),
     inline={
          'fkfield': Tabular,
          'rev_fkfield': Stacked
     })

would allow you to:
- default to something simple
- easily introduce inline representations
- easily pull definitions from a ModelAdmin type class to put into a
form_for_model used by the admin view.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)