Man, I really need to remember to always use email when posting to these
django lists.  Too many of my web posts never show up.  And here I
thought the internets was a truck I could just dump stuff on.

Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 00:16 -0500, Gary Wilson wrote:
>> Should we make Django's test runner look for and run all "tests"
>> packages/modules within the Django tree?  Or maybe just those in
>> django.contrib?
>
> What's the advantage of looking everywhere? I tend to think this isn't
> worth it because tests for core should all be in one place, for ease of
> maintenance.

I was thinking that, like the contrib apps, there are other subpackages
in django that could be stand alone packages (with their own tests).

IMO, it's easier to go looking for tests in the subpackage you are
working on rather than to go hunt for where it is in modeltests or
regression tests.  The directory names in modeltests and regressiontests
don't really tell you where in the code to look.

Also, instead of modeltests, regressiontests, and contrib app tests
sharing a common runtests.py namespace, we could make runtests.py accept
a module/package name to test.  Something like:

python runtests.py newforms
python runtests.py contrib.markup

where the arguments have an implied "django." in front of them.

Tests that span multiple packages could stay in the top level "tests"
directory.  But then how could we run these tests?  Maybe we don't allow
tests to have an implied "django." in front and running tests would be
something like:

python runtests.py django.newforms
python runtests.py django.contrib.markup
python runtests.py tests.modeltests.basic
python runtests.py tests.modeltests

Or use system path names instead of dots:

python runtests.py ../django/newforms
python runtests.py ../django/contrib/markup
python runtests.py modeltests/basic
python runtests.py modeltests

which would have the benefit of being able to run tests outside of the
django tree.

Gary