> > The biggest hurdle to dbsettings at this point is that it caches
> > settings in a standard Python module, which only exists within a
> > single process. This was all well and good while developing it, but
> > people are now starting to try it under mod_python, which (depending
> > on the Apache MPM) creates multiple processes, each with their own
> > dbsettings cache. This is fine except when editing settings, since it
> > can only update the cache in the current process.
>
> Stop me if you've heard this:
>
> This is not a bug, it's a feature.

At no point did I claim this was a bug. I merely stated that it
adversely affected my app. Given the post-mortem, it became clear that
I was taking the wrong approach, so if there are any bugs to be blamed
here, they're in my own code, not mod_python. I freely admit that.

> > Do NOT do your development under mod_python! That is _NOT_ what it's
> > intended for.
>
> I think you've misunderstood Marty.  He is not talking about modifying
> settings.py, he is talking about his dbsettings django app, which stores some
> parameters in the database.  These parameters are intended to be changed by
> non-developers, and shouldn't require an apache restart to take effect.

To be even more accurate, the app is in fact specifically targeted to
production environments which would normally require programmers and
administrators to get involved in the most trivial of changes, where
no real code is even changing, just a setting value here or there.
Hopefully that makes some sense.

-Gul