On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 08:09 -0400, Kevin Menard wrote:
> I'm not sure that makes a large amount of sense, so please correct me
> if I'm wrong.  But, if n users want to be able to use email addresses
> as usernames but m developers are indifferent to it, where n is likely
> to be magnitudes larger than m (just because m is small), then n
> different people should all do it themselves and not bother with a
> feature request?  I guess I just don't understand how it can be
> considered futile for users to try to enhance a feature added 3 years
> ago *shrug*

I have a backwards-compatible suggestion...

It seems that for people who want to use the email address as the
username, the username field becomes superfluous. What if we had a
setting that defaults to False called USE_EMAIL_AS_USERNAME. If it's
true, you fiddle around with the User model to make everything that
accesses or sets the username field use the email field instead. The
admin might be a little weird, because you'd see the email twice, but it
should be doable.

All that said, I don't need this, so somebody else would have to write
the patch. :-)

Todd