On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 02:54 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On further reflection, there is a huge internationalization issue
> here. The hyphenation rules and data driven exceptions are English
> specific. Some will work (minimally) for other languages, but are not
> good enough. Proper integration will be required, and language
> developers will need to have more knowledge about this corner domain.
> Due to my NDA/NC I cannot work on that part of it, but I do have a
> patch almost ready for django.utils.text.wordwrap to take an optional
> boolean argument to do word hyphenation.

I seem to remember that Knuth did a pretty amazing job with hyphenation
in TeX, most of it was algorithmic, and there were hyphenation engines
for at least a few languages.

I'll have to dig out my copy of The TeXbook to look (yes, I'm one of
those nerds who has the five-volume box set of TeX and MetaFont books),
but this may be something that somebody's already done a really good job
on.

Todd