On 8/13/07, Brian Harring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As hinted at earlier on the ml, have started doing some work on
> refactoring the actual db backend; ticket 5106 holds the current
> version (http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/5106).

I've implemented pretty much all of this in a flurry of commits this
afternoon/evening. See http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/5106 for a
list of the relevant commits (as ticket comments).

I haven't yet made DatabaseError, IntegrityError and the introspection
and creation functionality accessible via the django.db.connection
object. Those changes can happen in the near future, if they need to
be made.

Note that this is backwards-incompatible for anybody who was using the
django.db.backend functions -- such as quote_name() -- directly. None
of this stuff was documented, so I don't see it as a *huge* deal, but
we can add backwards-compatibility hooks for some of the most common
actions (quote_name() comes to mind) if people feel like that's
important. I've outlined the changes here:

http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/BackwardsIncompatibleChanges#Refactoreddatabasebackends

A big thanks to Brian for his work on the design and implementation of
this refactoring.

Adrian

--
Adrian Holovaty