On 8/25/07, James Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The documentation issue is tough, because it really is a RTFM issue:
> all that's needed is some way to make it very clear to users of 0.96
> that they ned to use the 0.96 docs, and I wonder if perhaps changing
> the documentation landing page to be the 0.96 version instead of the
> SVN version (and perhaps setting up /documentation/svn/ for those who
> are using SVN and who can hopefully read the message at the top of
> every documentation page) might help with that -- the problem is that
> people are just clicking the first documentation they see, and
> ignoring any and all warnings to the contrary, so let's make sure that
> the first documentation they see is the right documentation.

I know it wouldn't be a 100% solution, but might we be able to set
some kind of cookie when they download a release, so that their
requests for documentation default to the release they downloaded? SVN
users don't download through the web, so that would have to still be
the default in order for this to be of much use for them. But it might
be a way to at least help users get to the right documentation the
first time. The biggest problems would be a missing cookie (cleared
cookies, switched browsers, etc) which would result in SVN docs, and
serving users who convert from a release to SVN, since their release
cookie would need to be removed.

I'm certainly not suggesting that outright, but it's certainly
something to consider, and maybe there's a more elegant solution using
some other technical means. At least it might open some discussion.

-Gul