On 10/19/07, Jeremy Dunck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I can't say I'm surprised to hear that. I've heard several requests
> > > for changes in the documentation. Heck, I think I've even been one of
> > > them, some time ago.
> >
> > Well I'm surprised. I started using Django about a year ago, before I
> > knew anything about Python.
>
> I think Marty may have been speaking from his knowledge of me and what
> I've been working on as much as the existing quality of Django's docs.
>  I'm tech editing a book on it, and have been paying a lot of
> attention to the kinds of questions people ask on the lists for quite
> a while now.

Well, I'm really more speaking of the nature of different people to
like different types of documentation. I, for instance, prefer a focus
on quick reference. I like to be able to just punch in a URL for the
feature I'm looking for, and get answers, without having to wade
through a big document that tries to explain a bigger picture in a
linear way.

So to me, PHP's documentation is better than Django's, but PHP (not
very OO) also lends itself well to that type of documentation, much
better than Python, and thus Django. But even Python's standard
library reference better suits my taste.

Anyway, that's just one example of how different people prefer
different things. It's not a matter of faults in the existing
documentation. I doubt there's a decent way to satisfy my tastes very
easily without violating DRY, but it'll be good to get other feedback
to see what we come up with.

-Gul