Well django does recommend using the admin for everything admin-related, if
I stop using the admin for editing an article, then I would have to write a
whole bunch of code just to edit a single article. Suddenly the benefit of a
unified admin interface is lost and I have to deal with permissions, UI,
validation, forms.. it seems like a nightmare for something should work in
the first place... (i.e. overriding the save() method to add extra
functionality)
From the django features list:
A dynamic admin interface: it's not just scaffolding — it's the whole house
[The philosophy here is that your site is edited by a staff, or a client, or
maybe just you — and you don't want to have to deal with creating backend
interfaces just to manage content.]

The message seems clear to me. ;)

//D