On Mar 23, 7:49 pm, Martin v. Löwis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At the PyCon sprint, I started porting Django to Python 3.0. In the
> process, I had to make a number of changes to Python, so this port
> currently requires the Python 3.0 subversion head (soon to be released
> as 3.0a4).
> a) split the patch into separate chunks, and contribute them
> separately.
> b) hand the entire patch over to somebody interested in completing it
> c) complete it, then submit it
> d) abandon it

Very cool!

Maybe it would be best not to apply it as separate patches on the
current trunk, but to make it a branch, at least until it can be
clearly established that the single-version-plus-2to3 approach will
actually work for all of Django.

I wasn't at PyCon, and haven't done any 3.0 porting work myself, so I
could be behind the times, but my understanding of current porting
advice (based on PEP 3000) was that it's not going to be possible to
support 2.x and 3.x from a single codebase in many cases (even with
2to3) if Python < 2.6 needs to be supported. Right?

I also wonder, is it worth adding this stuff to Django *now* for a
transition that is likely to be quite far off, with at least two big
merges (qs-rf, nfa, possibly gis) coming up soonish?

In any case, it's cool to see the work, and I look forward to the day
I'm running Django on Python 3.

pb

pb