>  So this means, though, that folks running from SVN will still need to
>  run setup.py every time they update, right? Not that that's a
>  dealbreaker -- I think Django-on-Py3k'ers will be on the cutting edge
>  anyway -- just wanna check.

Correct. distutils operates using time-stamps, so it will only overwrite
(and then re-2to3) newer files. I arrange it so that the build/ tree
contains the converted files. I never tried running it from build/, but instead
perform a full "setup.py install" to get django on sys.path.

See

http://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/py3k/Lib/distutils/command/build_py.py

for build_py_2to3; in Django's setup.py, I use

try:
    from distutils.command.build_py import build_py_2to3 as build_py
except ImportError:
    from distutils.command.build_py import build_py
setup(...
  cmdclass = {'build_py':build_py}
)

to invoke 2to3 in the build step.