On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Malcolm Tredinnick
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  If you want to be able to specify a different default manager for some
>  particular use of an existing model, you're sort of after a third type
>  of model subclassing that I've thought about but haven't implemented:
>  subclassing an existing model and explicitly telling Django that this is
>  only Python-level (and not database-/ORM-level) inheritance. So all the
>  database interactions are part of the parent class(es) and the child
>  class simply adds extra functional pieces (such as a new default
>  manager). Nothing existing so far rules out adding this, so it's not
>  something that has to be resolved now, which is why I haven't wasted any
>  brain cells on it so far. This might be fairly easy to add once we work
>  out how to spell it, since it's only saying "create absolutely no fields
>  for this model, not even links back to the parent model and definitely
>  don't create a database table."

I've invested a few brain cells on this already, though not enough for
a complete solution. It'd be off-topic for this discussion, but
if/when you get around to it, feel free to hit me up if you're looking
for another opinion on how it could be done.

-Gul