> Any reasons for having CommentFlag.flag being a string, and not a
> foreign key to a FlagType model ? Having them as strings makes it
> easier to end up with bad data (misspelling and so forth). Of course
> there is always the performance penalty, but it seems worth it.

You can do both :-)

Have a FlagType model with a string as a primary key, so you only need
to set flag_id if you already know what string you want. I have to
say, I don't usually mess with custom primary keys in django, and have
no idea if there are downsides in using them. Feel free to correct me
if this isn't a good idea for whatever reason.

Having said that I like the flexible approach of just having a string;
unless you need to store other attributes, there are no great
benefits. Bad data could be seen as more of a usability problem than a
technical one.

Cheers,

--
Will Hardy