On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Russell Keith-Magee
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> However, I'm happy to defer to
> someone with a higher degree in grammarnazism.

With that in mind, I whipped out my copies of the Chicago Manual of
Style and Garner's Modern American Usage last night.

And came up short.  :/

Reading through all the entries for "plurals", "numerals", "count
nouns", and the like yielded nothing useful.  I'm strongly inclined
towards making anything other than the integer "1" be plural, but
there are oddities:

1) Decimals between 0 and 1: is it "0.5 meter" ("one-half meter") or
"0.5 meters" ("point-five meters")?

2) Negative 1: "-1 dollar" or "-1 dollars"?

3) The decimal "1.0": "1.0 second" ("one second") or "1.0 seconds"
("one-point-oh seconds", perhaps in deference to the significant
digit)?

I'm almost ready to burn an Ask MetaFilter question on this.  ^_^