This is not a bug. It is how the permissions system works. So far as
the Admin goes, it is model granular, not row granular or field
granular, meaning that if you grant a user full access to the User
object, as you did, they can do anything to that table, including
change permission levels. The permissions system does not have the
concept of a hierarchy of permissions.

Suggest you read the docs, and direct any questions to the users list:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/auth/