Karen Tracey wrote:
> We've had at least three people run into a problem (#9090) after
> installing 1.0 over an old level.  Now, we do document that before
> installing you should remove any old level.  But I find the results
> when you don't rather odd. It's not just old files renamed/deleted in
> the new level that wind up being 'leftover' in the site-packages
> directory. Rather, some files that exist in both levels, and changed
> between the two, are not updated by install.  So you wind up with a
> mixture of 0.96.x and 1.0 level files, which is pretty confusing and
> subject to odd failures.
>
> Does anyone know if there is something we could do to prevent this
> situation?  I'm not very familiar with Python installation
> procedures.  It seems like it would be better, though, if our
> installer flat-out refused to install over a pre-existing installation
> or offered to delete the pre-existing install before continuing with
> the new install.  What's the norm for Python packages?
>
> Karen

I suspect what's happening is that the install keeps the distribution
dates on the .py files, but that the people who see the problems have
installed (or at least recompiled) the older versions more recently, so
the interpreter doesn't require an overwrite of the 0.96 files.

I've just done an install of 1.0 on my Python 2.6 alpha2 distribution
and I see, for example, that .../django/views/static.py is dated
12/17/2007. In this case there wasn't a previous installation, so I
can't verify that the compilation won't take place if there's an
existing .pyc file. However I *did* verify that a clean re-install
(after deletion of the appropriate build subdirectories) did *not*
change the creation time of the .py file.

So the answer is to put another step in the build process that touches
all files before bundling them up for distribution. Obviously this is
best done outside the version control system.

regards
 Steve