> I think that auth messages are the wrong way to do it most of the time
> they are used (including django core code) anyway. They are usually
> used to inform that an action worked (or didn't) -- this should be
> done as session messages, not user messages.

+1 to this, and also to decoupling messages from contrib.auth.

I don't much like django-notices' query-string approach either, I'd
much rather see a standard session-based solution.  Since session
backends are pluggable, this pretty much lets you do whatever you
want.

(User-based notifications should stick around, of course, as they have
their own good use cases.  But they shouldn't be a requirement of
using contrib.auth).

Also adding in a pointer to ticket 4604 [1] and django-session-
messages [2] which is based on the 4604 patch.

Carl

 [1] http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/4604
 [2] http://code.google.com/p/django-session-messages/