On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 1:29 PM, shabda.raaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was doing a little research and saw #5049, which was closed as
> WONTFIX by Russell, but I cant seem to find the referenced discussion,
> and am posting this as maybe this proposal is significantly different
> than what was discussed in the past. :)

My understanding is that any app specific stuff is to come under the
planned INSTALLED_APPS refactor in #3591. There are also some notes on
the wiki[1]. Personally, I have no idea if the plan includes a way for
app specific settings files or not, so this may or may not address
your pony.

In any event, I seem to recall is being pointed out before that the
settings file is just python code. There is noting stopping you from
importing other app specific settings files into settings.py.
Presumably, you would want to do such an import at the end of the file
so as to override the project defaults.

Although, rereading your request, that wouldn't do what you want. The
thing is, settings are loaded once at server init and remain unchanged
across requests. However, you want settings to change for each request
depending on which app a view resides in. That's determined in url
resolution. Remember a url.py file in one app could point to a view in
another app. Perhaps a wrapper (or decorator) around your views could
add the appropriate context. Settings are global and constant, they're
not the place for this sort of thing.

[1]: http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/InstalledAppsRevision

--
----