Hi,

[This could probably be considered bikeshedding by some, hopefully it
doesn't.]

I would like to to propose a simple convention/guidelines for people
having commit-access for the Python source code files:

* Stripping non-significant white space from the end of lines.
* Ending every non-zero-byte-size file with a carriage return.

for files going into the repository.

There are several files right now that don't comply with these
conventions and I'm not proposing to change all of them at the same time
or something similar, that would signify a disruption of the history of
the project, also I don't think implementing something like repository
hooks to enforce a policy is necessary either.

But if some kind of such guidelines were to be adopted, the next time
one of thse files is modified (as part of the normal project evolution)
with a text editor configured accordingly, it would be converted to the
'right' format. So, a gradual convergence to a predictable style would be
achieved.

This wouldn't need to be a requirement for patch submitters, but just
the fact that such a patch gets applied and edited in some way by a core
committer during its review would also convert them. I suspect this
would help to get less 'noisy' patches (because I also suspect the
formatting conventions are widespreadly used) and it would also allow us
to to workaround the known limitation of our version of Trac that
borks the HTML display of patches containing:

"\ No newline at end of file".

Most modern text editor support the relevant settings with the
possibility of activating them for specific filename extensions.

If this proposal is adopted I could submitting a patch for
internals/contributing.txt to document it if deemed necessary.

Regards,

--
 Ramiro Morales