On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 15:27 -0700, Dave Benjamin wrote:
> No, I'm trying to run it as a dev server. I use mod_python in
> production. However, I use the dev server in a shared environment so
> that a few other programmers and testers in the office can view the
> site.
>
> In any case, sending a TERM signal to the parent process should cause
> the child to die. There is no reasonable justification for the current
> behavior, IMHO.

There's a lot of justification for the current behaviour: it's a *lot*
simpler than the change you are proposing we make and maintain forever.

The development server is intended for single user, simple development
stuff. It runs as a foreground process and ^C stops it very nicely.

If you want anything more than that, use a real webserver. It's easy to
set up mod_wsgi so that it reloads (see [1]). Or use --noreload and
restart if/when you make changes to something (if other people are
viewing it at the same time, random restarts aren't generally going to
be a good idea).

The goal is, intentionally, to keep the development server simple since
there are numerous options for more functional setups when required.

[1]
http://blog.dscpl.com.au/2008/12/using-modwsgi-when-developing-django.html

Regards,
Malcolm