On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Travis Parker <travis.par...@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> 2. settings (views -> apps, dj middleware -> wsgi middleware)
> i don't have nearly as nice a proposal for dealing with this. there
> are a lot of django views and middleware out there that would be nice
> to have usable as wsgi components but which require
> django.conf.settings to work. if they are going to go into a wsgi
> environment though, it seems a little strange to require a
> DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE environment variable and a django-style
> settings.py. i don't have any great ideas. open for suggestions.

[snip]

It seems to be a little known/remembered fact that
DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE and settings.py are not required to use django
code that requires settings. Settings can actually be configured
manually within python code calling settings.configure(). This way,
you only actually set settings that you need. In fact, outside of the
strict situation of a django project, it is the only way I deal with
settings when using parts of django.

See here for details: http://www.djangobook.com/en/1.0/appendixE/#cn57

However, the trick is that you can only call settings.configure() once
and it's possible that multiple middleware will need settings. On top
of that, the user may use some of those middlewhere and not others
and/or change the order of the middlewhere. You'll need some way to
work out whether configure has been called for each middlewhere and
only call it the first time. Not fun, but it's got to be better than
dealing with DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE and settings.py.

--
----