On Aug 12, 12:17 am, David <da...@davidfindlay.org> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 12:06 am, Russell Keith-Magee <freakboy3...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Another cause for hesitation is that it would be an admin-specific
> > solution to the problem. A generic solution that would work for all
> > ModelForms would be nice if it is possible.
>
> Agreed. I shall look at that first since it's more generally useful.

New Django user here, but also a developer on other Python projects: I
thought that I'd mention a couple of points.

For our use of his feature, we don't need to see what the data was,
but a diff of what we would like to save, and the way the data is now
would be useful. I imagine it might work like this: "The data you are
attempting to save has changed since you began your edit. You have the
option of a) using your version and overwriting the other data, b)
aborting your edit, or c) revising your edit based on the differences
below. Your data is: ... Current data is:..."

It would be nice if this were an option which could easily be added on
a view; however, there would be some fields that you wouldn't want/
need to check for changes. For example, an update that would timestamp
a field would not need to trigger this condition. So the view-level
options should include a list of fields to ignore. Perhaps it could
also take a function name for adding a custom saving conflict manager.

My $.02.

In any event, thank you all for a beautiful project!

-Doug