> I just checked in change to Tornado that enables you to run any WSGI-
> compatible framework on Tornado's HTTP server so that Django apps
> could run on top of Tornado's HTTP server and benefit from some of the
> performance work we have done. (I just sent a message to django-users@
> with getting started instructions as well, but if you are interested,
> take a look at
> http://github.com/facebook/tornado/blob/master/tornado/wsgi.py#L188).

Great news, there was a lot of discussion at DjangoCon last week after
the Tornado launch about this possibility. There was a bit of hacking
on it during the Django sprints, but things seemed to stall as people
realized there were a few incompatibilities due to Tornado munging
some of the HTTP headers (not sure the details, as I wasn't working on
this stuff personally). Awesome to hear you made it work!

> I chose the WSGI approach because it is generic and applies to all
> frameworks, but Django is obviously the most widely used. I am curious
> if there is any benefit to implementing more "native" support in
> django.core.handlers or if WSGI is the preferred way of adding support
> for new servers. If there is any performance or usability benefit, let
> me know, because we would be happy to contribute our time to make it
> happen.

It would be interesting if you could formalize your issues with WSGI
(it's not a horrible solution, but there are certainly places where it
could be improved). Armin Ronacher was talking about updating the WSGI
PEP at DjangoCon and was soliciting ideas, so you may want to get in
touch with him and offer some suggestions for making WSGI work with
high performance containers like Tornado.

Mike