On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 2:49 AM, Ben Davis <bendavi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed this ticket is currently assigned to Malcolm; in the comments he
> says it's on his list of patches to work on.   It looks like the last thing
> he did was set the milestone to 1.2 back in March,  but haven't seen any
> comments on the ticket from him since then.   Is it considered fair game to
> re-assign this (or mark it as unassigned so that someone else can pick it
> up)?  I don't want to step on anyone's feet...

If the ticket had been claimed by a general member of community, the
answer would be "sure, go for it". However, in this case, the question
you need to answer here is a purely practical one - what benefit
exists in assigning the ticket to yourself? A casual look at the
ticket will reveal that you have been doing a lot of work on the
ticket over the last few months, and that is a lot more informative
than the official ticket assignment.

Malcolm is a core developer, and while he may be in a period of low
activity at the moment, the list of tickets he has assigned to himself
is a good list of stuff that has been tacitly approved by someone with
the commit bit.

You are free to keep adding patches without assigning the ticket to
yourself. You can keep discussing the ticket without assigning it to
yourself. Being assigned to Malcolm doesn't stop myself (or any other
core dev) from closing the ticket.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)