On Nov 29, 6:40 am, Luke Plant <l.plant...@cantab.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I started work replacing Django's if with the "smart-if" template tag
> by Chris Beaven (http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/1350/)

Neat! I'm assuming you'll be posting this to your bitbucket soon? :)

> 1) Handling non-existent variables
> 2) TEMPLATE_STRING_IF_INVALID breaks everything

Yep, this is a bit of a problem which I've been thinking about
recently (encountered it for a project).

My (non-implemented) solution to both of these is to use a NotFound
object. I just coded one up: http://gist.github.com/244861
This could actually be a much better return value than a plain
TEMPLATE_STRING_IF_INVALID string in general.

> 3) Behaviour of 'x and b or y'

Like I commented in the snippet, I don't think it's worth obfuscating
code to limit this behaviour.

> 4) Behaviour of 'not'

Bleh, whatever. If we need it for backwards compatibility, it's not
hard to implement.