Russ,

I dont agree to the *it works* theory here - Ian rightly said 'If you
ask me,
anybody foolish enough to use a TextField as a primary key deserves
what they get' and you agreed  'Your comment about foolishness is
definitely correct '

Putting it in context, this is in the 'user control area' and the fact
that one can go ahead and change the type in the LogEntry definition
like Helgi did means it not a blockade (though it would be good if
Django got i right first time).

I have another question though but that is due to my lack of wide
usage of Django - so you mentioned that u were scared to make the
changes becuase of problems with migrations - once Helgi makes that
change and the next time he is upgrading to the a higher version of
Django, is there anything he needs to do ?

cheers
Mario